Thursday, April 28, 2011

DINNER. IT'S WHATS I MADE.

Impressed aren't you, blog?

Oh by 'I made dinner' I mean that that phrase isn't something I would say if I were referring to top ramen or pasta...both of which I eat a lot.

To recap real quick: In S.Korea it's real easy to get real good food real quick from restaurants. In addition ingredients, for at least most of the food I make, is pretty expensive at grocers. So the motivation is not always there to cook at home. However after discussing it with some people I decided to give cooking 'dinner' at home another shot. Which means I had to go to the grocery store, EMart.


Above is half the produce section of EMart. During my Cross-Cultural Studies class in college our professor had a large section dedicated to studying grocery systems around the world. I wrote a paper on this aspect of America's system.



 Having work, the grocery store and Dunkin Donuts being a well-aimed Frisbee throw away means I can't complain about anything, but that fact does lead to some strange instances.

For example running into kids and parents from school at the grocery store. Besides the obvious that sometimes I just don't want to, there's also the blatant. Like on Wednesday: Of course two kids from school and both sets of their parents walk by and wave while I am at the checkout with only a bottle of wine and a box of cereal. Wine-O's! GET IT!?

Back to last night. I went and wondered a bit and picked out this: 


It LOOKED like an assorted amount of produce I could stir-fry up with some chicken and have a meal. Half an onion, three or four garlic cloves, two not-too-spicy peppers, and that green stuff on the top, and that other white stuff next to the onion.  It was $3, so I got some boneless chicken too, and some sesame seed oil. At one point I thought about getting a lemon to juice, however there are no lemons in Korea.

So I go home, I tried to make an appetizer of sorts by thinly slicing some pepper jack string cheese I had and laying it over some bread I was frying up (I have no toaster). It was a spicy cheesy bread and so that was good.

But then I realized that what I bought MIGHT have been intended for a soup hahah. Those long white stringy thing with the mini-mushroom tops had a noodle texture, and I def need to make rice with it next time too.

So far in my experience here, there's only one thing that I know for sure is that I will never, ever eat again is squid jerky:


I've tried three variations of it and each attempt was an all-encompassing fail. Here's some aspects of this beloved snack: It smells dead, it tastes like wood, and it's usually served with mayonnaise and a side of peanuts. It's the worst thing ever. But people love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment