Sunday, May 1, 2011

MOSEYING SUNDAY part 1, Where in Matt Sees an Elk

Good Sunday, blog,

It's May 1st here, so naturally the Padres won. I watched the game in the morning and into the early afternoon spiced with some time spent on video games and getting a bagel + cream cheese + coffee 'set'(combo) from Dunkin. The bagels here are not toasted, the are just warmed up haha and then schmeared with cream cheese so they are this flat, bready, warm thing with cc in the middle. Delicious?

Anyway on to the good stuff! I decided to go back to CostCo as something to do today. So about 2:30 I geared up with my backpack (in case I bought something at CostCo), Pads hat, headphones and black fancy Pumas (foreshadowing). CC is two stops up the line so that was easy and once I got inside I started roaming for about 30 min. My paychecks will start to be bigger this month because I'm done with the deposit for my apartment, so this trip I was more or less making notes of what I would get and how much cash I should bring next time I come to really stock up. Also note to self/everyone, if you want to go to CostCo and absolutely make sure that you don't make that atrociously easy mistake of spending too much money -- don't get a cart. If you buy only what you can carry you'll be limited to like 3 (massive) items. Either way I didn't buy anything, not even a slice of pizza! I know, jaw-dropping right?

Okay you can wake up now, this is when my day gets interesting. So I head back towards the subway and I remembered that this guy from Texas I met at McDonald's a while back said that once the weather gets better there will be pick-up basketball games at the Lake Park in Ilsan. So I thought while I'm already on a scouting trip I might as well try to find the hoops for future reference.

Another two stops up the #3 line I go and when I go get to the station I decide to take a different exit, you know, spice things up a bit. When I came up for daylight, this is what greeted me:




I had no idea there was an art gallery there! Turns out on one side of the subway station exits is the mall and commerce and stuff that I've been too and on the other side there's this complex:


This is taken atop the pedestrian walk way: the gallery is in the lower level, and then straight head on the right there is the library, in the foreground on the right are fancy Korean and Italian restaurants probably to service the folk who attend the Opera house in the back between the lib and the restaurants.

Back to the gallery, obviously I went in I mean how cool was that moose(elk?)? Admission was only $3, which is great compared to the (total rip) price of the Aquarium. The whole gallery was dedicated to green thinking, sustainable living etc etc.

Here are some pics of the courtyard outside the art gallery:


John Lennon pictured above making a very brief cameo.


Below is the first half of the gallery, at the bottom is a stack of (printed out) currency made into paper airplanes I thought was pretty cool)


Here are famous photos with green painted over their notorious facial features -- Marylin on her mole, Hitler's 'stache, and also none other than The Colonel down there at the end! Also in small type on the prints were the carbon emissions from every country.



Below is a ball of tape. The caption said something like "I have been collecting used tape and making it into a ball for about five years and now it's the size of a basketball. Also it's the eart, with black being the ocean and green being North America.



This was pretty cool, Above, those are kid's shoes turned into planters! I guess from this (floor) angle you can't tell but the shoes are itty bitty. 


This one is featuring my silhouette in a cameo. That book 'On Gurrilla Gardening' looked interesting. 


 Above, my silloutte gets hungry, turns into a fox/coyote and tries to eats some of those nuts.

Below, how awesome are these flag prints? They were one of my favorite parts.





This structure below had it's own room, as it was MASSIVE. I took this pic with my camera/phone on the floor. 




I guess all the green was just thing you could buy that were green, which I don't know if I totally agree with because it seemed that nothing had been opened and isn't that causing more waste? Impressive either way.


This was cool. Those white things in the distance were ships and there was black fabric being blown from below so it seemed the fabric was waves and the ships were just bobbing, and then you used the binoculars to look at the shit. 

Below is my favorite painting of the few that they had. I'da bought it. If, you know, it was for sale and really cheap. So, no.






So that's it for the art gallery! I'm sorry I didn't bring my actual camera if I had known I would have. Since it was so cheap to get in I tried to donate $5 to the gallery when I left but they wouldn't let me! Topsy turvy world when galleries don't need money.

No comments:

Post a Comment