Sunday, May 29, 2011

ALWAYS BE LOOKING GOOD

Been mulling this over for a while, blog

Like some European cultures, there is a very pressing importance to always appear well groomed and fashionable here. The thrift shops (chain or otherwise) that line the streets of Hillcrest growing up in San Diego would turn an astounding profit of absolutely nothing if they were to open a branch here. It's possible to go outside in sweatpants and a tee-shirt, however those sweat pants better be the latest Nike brand and that tee shirt needs to not only be clean (I'll get there one day) but it should also show the world that you have an up to date sense of fashion-awareness.

I was told to expect this and so I only half notice it anymore. But what I always notice is how people treat mirrors here. They are constantly checking and double checking the status of their glamor. All (all) elevators have at least one mirror and it is customary to with in 5 seconds of entry to give a good amount of attention to your reflection. The escalators in supermarkets are lined with mirrors and people spend the whole ride re-evaluating their facial circumstances. In America I feel as though most people do this to an extent, or if they don't it might be because they don't want to be considered vain. But we don't take it this far. The only place that is comparable back home was at the gym, where mirrors where watched more than the TVs -- but that was sort of the point of the gym right?

I wouldn't feel strange trying to snap a picture of someone checking themselves out on an escalator, so instead I got the next best thing:


I took this at a subway station a few stops up. That's a full length mirror that's obviously been imported to stay next to the ticket machine.  Because, after you buy your tickets then you have to get on the subway and you absolutely have to look your best on the subway, right? Any opportunity available to look in a mirror, take it.



The kids are decked out in high fashion, especially at a private school like ours. Here is an example of a gift that one of the parents gave ECC and the attached note:


'Hand-written note? Nah, I'll type it up using four colors, two languages, and I'll throw in a professional grade head-shot of my four year old wearing a fedora.' 

And this is not an usual thought process. 

So the 'hipster' chic that was popular back home would definitely not fly here, or really wearing a shirt that wasn't bought during the current presidential term, so that presents obvious financial challenges. But other than that I feel like the culture takes pride in being streamlined for maximum efficiency and productivity, which I think it needs to be to make sure it can compete with the likes of Japan, China, US, etc. Which is generally a good think I think: it keeps crime down and education up. But as far as fashion goes it feels like the attitude is such that if someone walks around looking bummy, then they might be considered not fully functioning in the society. Which is why I didn't bring my prized and tattered San Diego Wildcards basketball shirt and all five of its holes with me -- that would just not fly here.

So when everyone visits me, come looking correct!

1 comment:

  1. this is so funny! I love it. You need to submit the note to Jay Leno so he can air it with your caption.

    the mirror in the subway is classic. how do the women dress? high fashion?, or are you just referring to the businessmen and kids?

    ReplyDelete