Sunday, May 22, 2011

WEEKEND OF MAY 21ST, FEATURING COST EFFICENT FUN AND A MUSIC FESTIVAL WITH NO MUSIC

Time to hunker down, blog

I've been making budgets for the first few months before I got here and since I arrive in the South K as well, trying to keep tabs on everything. During that time I knew that the first three or four months here I would not be really focused on saving money. When you are in a new environment you (I) have to go out and explore. That includes seeing the sights and getting to know the culture, finding and making new friends, figure out what is too expensive, what is cheap, what is middle. That can be an expensive process of knowing what not to do. But now that It's been almost 5 months I am pretty familiar with what I can expect from my spending in a given week or month. So it's time to start saving up some funds.

Coincidentally my empty pasta jar (like my dad says, never throw away good jar) of coins finally got filled up (do you like my spice rack below? Salt, pepper, tabasco sauce, and some flowers from Teacher's Day). The jar of coins feels like it's about six pounds, but I think there are a lot of 50 cent pieces so I am hoping for a big haul! Will take it into the bank tomorrow and cash it in so wish me luck.


On Friday night I decided to skip our usually co-worker Korean bbq - well don't get me wrong I still went and hung out, but I jetted home first and cooked up Matt's famous raman and fried dumplings.


Delicious! Or at least I have to keep telling myself that. After dinner I walked a couple blocks down  and met up with the crew at a new bbq place we hadn't tried before. The interesting thing about this one was absolutely the duel lettuce troughs that the bring for you to wrap your meat in.




I had a beer and watched the end of a Korean baseball game and hung out. But about halfway through the chef and the waiter came to our table. Bother were men about 50, the chef spoke great English and he said he was Japanese but he lived in Germany for 6 years, so he's trilingual and really nice.  They asked me why I wasn't eating, I just said I was not hungry but complimented their spread, and then the waiter came by later with a free plate of this:

No comments:

Post a Comment