Wednesday, May 18, 2011

IT'S NOT EASY BEING FIVE

My job is never stale, blog,

The kids make sure of that. It's a perk to this work. But some days I'm reminded that it's not easy being really young, because if when you are earnest and well-intentioned, somethings just don't work out. Here are a few examples:

1. The doors. At our school the doors are insanely heavy. I can't open them without leveraging my weight in the right direction. So it takes at a minimum 2, if they are small 3 or 4, kids to open the doors. One kid alone is nearly impossible. The kids know how the doors work. They've experience it everyday in some cases for years now. But STILL, everyday when it is time for them to lineup to go out the door they line up like this:


Here's the rub...That door to the left opens IN. So everyday, I say, "Okay, line up, please." And everyday the kids (no matter what the age) spend a minute cramming into each other and jockeying over position, and then I have to slowly back everyone up three feet to open the door while they all fall over each other and slightly bicker about lost positions. I think I need to draw a line-up-line for them to stand behind. When I get my own homeroom, I'll do that.

Also, as I can personally attest, spelling in the English language can be really difficult. There's a lot of tricks and anomalies with some words that one has to account for. Unfortunately for kids, all words can be troublesome. For example:


This is an art project by a student after about his second month at English school. The student's name is 'Jason'. Or 'SJEAOES' if you believe this particular project. hahaha like I said, spelling is tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment