Thursday, May 26, 2011

QUIT UNDERMINING ME, INTERNET

Hey guys sorry about the post from last weekend that just cut off. I wrote it, posted it, and it didn't process. Now I seem like I'm teasing, and I've gotten NUMEROUS emails (one and a half) from people dying to know what was next to come in my journey of the weekend.  So I'll pick up where I left off, or where the internet decided to say get e-lazy, when I was out to dinner with co-workers:

I had a beer and watched the end of a Korean baseball game and hung out. But about halfway through the chef and the waiter came to our table. Both were men about 50, the chef spoke great English and he said he was Japanese but he lived in Germany for 6 years, so he's trilingual and really nice.  They asked me why I wasn't eating, I just said I was not hungry but complimented their spread, and then the waiter came by later with a free plate of this:


That's deep fried flounder skin. The darker pieces are the back and the lighter pieces are the stomach. It was okay, the waiter and chef def stuck around to watch me eat like half of it. Very thoughtful of them.




On Saturday night myself and two friends decided to go out to a music festival on one street in Seoul, where all the bars had three of four acts through out the nights and it idea was to wonder from place to place and see some new music. It for, or at least aimed at, foreigners so that was cool to hang out with the old atmosphere. There were hundreds and hundreds of people there and the police didn't close down the street so it was sort of dangerous so we took up shelter in this little Korean restaurant to get some quick dinner before meeting up with seven or eight friends and friends of friends. However there was so much chaos in the streets, and the food and beer in the restaurant was so cheap the 8 or 9 of us ended up taking over this little Korean restaurant and just watching the chaos in the street for a couple hours. Here are some highlights:

The street was in the shadow of the (famous?) Olympic Tower from 1988.


We were standing outside the restaurant when that bus below drove by all the bars and people partying. It was a 'Tour of Korea' bus with what looked like Japanese and Chinese tourists on it, and they were all glued to the windows taking pictures of, we joked, 'The Average American in it's Natural Nocturnal Habitat.'


This was the best curry I've had since I've been here. Ah that beer reminds me, I lost a bet to my co-worker's girlfriend that English was a romance language, turns out it's Germanic. The bet was originally for the price of dinner but instead whenever I took a drink of anything for the whole night I had to say 'Jenny was right' each time. Ego over money, always.


This sign below was at the place we were hanging out. I talked two or three people on the street in to a $3 bathroom ticket, which I told them came with a free beer. There was a sister sign out front that said "Come in, Beer is Prepared!" To the left was the woman who ran the place, it was pretty obvious after she closed the kitchen she stayed up so we could hang out which was really nice of/profitable for her.


Alas we saw not one song's worth of live music, but just hanging out and people watching was entertainment a plenty. Every so often pretending you are back home is good....for a couple hours. So that was last weekend! Don't see this weekend shaping up to be anything special but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment