Tuesday, April 26, 2011

WOOPS.

Foot is currently in mouth, blog.

Here's a long-winded back story... About two weeks ago I offered to clean out the 'storage closet' at work.

First of all, to quote 1991's 'Don't tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead: It needed it. Second of all on some days during my first break I do all my prep and then I have nothing to do; if I sit still I get tired, plus I usually drink a lot of coffee so I want to keep moving. And third of all, I consider it insurance against future mistakes to get on the good side of management before the fact.





My co-workers give me guff because our managers are notorious for making us do things we shouldn't have to do expecting us to not want extra compensation or to ask questions, so the co-workers think I'm doing 'The Man' a favor. To be honest, it's almost entirely boredom. Anyway, it's a decently sized room/closet but you couldn't take three steps in it was so packed. Old art supplies, textbooks with dusted caked on there they were so old. A big framed company photo from 2004. Stacks of assorted old science projects. Literally, there is a kitchen sink in there I uncovered after about 30 minutes. I'm really sorry I didn't just take a picture to show everyone.

I made a space in our computer room that's only used by teachers on break to I could sort and stack all of the junk in the closet. Took about a week to empty the whole thing and sort it into either academic or art&science sections. Then once I got the word to trash everything in there (actually except the kitchen sink, apparently that belongs to the building so we have to keep that). And now about every break I have I take about two loads down to the recycling/dumpsters downstairs, you know, not too much effort less I re-injure the rib. 

SO. Long story longer, on today's trash run downstairs I took down about 2 dozen old poster boards - they were either teacher-made and forgotten, or old props from plays probably. The parking lot attendant is always one of three men in their 70's. Super nice guys. The poster boards were  big so today's attendant said we should break them in half.

We are breaking them in half together and he asks me, "What country are your from?"
I said, "California, in the United States."
Then there was silence. So I asked him, "Are you from Korea?"
Dumb question, in all likelihood, but he said, "Yes."
More silence. So I asked, "North, or South?"
Woops!!
He slowly turned his head towards me looking astounded like, 'How dare you ask me that!'
DAH! I meant the north or south of the country, not North Korea or South Korea!!

Anyway. He's South Korean. I know that for a fact now. **Sigh**


I've had a pretty decent (really high) amount of jobs in my time and one thing I've learned is that 'work drama' is inevitable. So to keep you posted on the new friction - the Korean teachers staged their rebellion against the new academic director today. They told the big manager (not literally big he's sorta tiny) that either she goes or they all group quit at the end of the month. I will be the first to tell you about the academic manager's flaws - they are very apparent, negative, unwarranted, and often it seems were directed at me. However I think the Korean teachers were a little ruthless in their handling of the situation, and then when the big manager more or less sided with them (I assume he did, because) they were high-fiving and celebrating in the teacher's room, which I also thought was sort of classless. They're making her look nice by comparison. So it's getting messy and I've been mostly keeping my head down during the ordeal.

As I say every week, Wednesdays are the toughest so just need to get through the next 22 hours and life will be breezy.

GREAT WIN BY THE PADRES TONIGHT, LLLLUUUDDDDDYYYYY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment