Tuesday, March 29, 2011

DEAL.

Filled up, blog!

I made some usual complaint last post about management wanting us to stay late and organize the library books tonight. So I worked a sorta long day, had an hour's worth of breaks so it wasn't too bad. And then got geared up to stay the extra hour (making it an 11 hour day) organize. Don't get me wrong, we were right to be cautious, it is customary in this country to work overtime or for free "for the good of the company" so we usually need to stay vigil. However I feel I need to renege on that initial complaint.

Because first off,  they decided to pay us $10 an hour AND they included this meal as much as twice a week:


That's fried rice with dumplings, spicy soup, kimchi and some tasty onions and radish as well. It was delivered to us from some place, with those plastic plates all perfect like that, and then when we are done we just set the plates outside in the staircase and the restaurant COMES BACK and get the plates later in the night. Like elves.



Anyway I spent a good few minutes trying to reiterate to my boss how serious I am when I say that $10 an hour and a free meal will pretty much get me to do job they want. My first job at the Zoo one summer was at a food station with no AC for $6 an hour and 1/2 off the ten dollar burgers we sold. I just told a "you know my first job was for a nickle" story? shit.

So there's the pay and the free food but also, and I know this is geek, but it turns out the process is an extensive cataloging and organization of the books with labels, online research etc etc., and the process will be a lot more complicated than we originally thought. We haven't worked out a great system yet however the four or five of us figuring it out together was sort of relaxing and enjoyable. Keep in mind that the great portion of my days are spent focusing on colors, shapes and animals like frogs and fish. So working through a sort of complex problem with a couple other adults was way more fun than I thought.

Actually the food came right when we were starting to get a rhythm down and I didn't want to stop. What we heard from other schools was that it might take the better part of a month to finish at the rate we are going, so I didn't sweat it and grubbed up. 

XO BLOG

No comments:

Post a Comment