Thursday, January 20, 2011

STRANGE LOOKING FOREIGNERS

 I was at the grocery store tonight and I saw this (I assume) American couple pass me going the other way on the escalator. We smiled and nodded and it was cool.  Got me thinking about what it's like to see other westerners. Twice (that I know of) I've walked into a room or a restaurant and a small child will drop their jaw, point to me and shout something along the lines of "MY GOSH, MOM, A WHITE PERSON!" I figure this by his or her Mom's reaction to this statement and apologetic smile. I smile or make a silly face and go on about my business.

But after a while, every time I see a western looking person, I do a cartoon-like double take and I think the same thing! It's just so unusual to see foreigners, aside from your co-workers, and especially how here in the burbs. The States and CA are such a melting pot you get used to seeing all different types of people around and it's no thing. In Europe if you saw someone you thought was American it was because of the way the dressed or the way they acted that tipped off some impulse in your brain, or because they were looking at you with that same sort of curiosity. It also sort of bothers me that some westerners won't return a smile or a nod, but that's sort of how we are.

Bought a bunch of fresh produce and some chicken, and a green plastic chopping board in the shape of an apple, let's put the 'cheaper to eat out' theory to the test yea?

No comments:

Post a Comment