Tuesday, January 25, 2011

SICKNESS

Don't worry blog, I'm not sick.

Thankfully. (Only a matter of time though....) But one of my co-workers is ill and it's CHAOS. I guess it's only chaos because the school/company has no system at all of substitute teachers. Co-worker came down with some real-bad-business-stomach-virus yesterday. Maybe from eating an expired (or not)  assortment like this.....

MMMMM mini octopus....

 I've been trying to figure out a way that it would be possible to have substitute teachers and I just don't think it's feasible as a company policy. So basically what happens is that all the weight from the absentee teacher is put on whatever co-teacher has that class period off to teach the class, and if that doesn't work the manager will step in.  Teachers get what amounts to about 1.05 paid sick days off. A YEAR. And the difference between taking that day off or not taking that day off is a $300 end of the year bonus. So taking the day off to recover/not spread the germy-goodness is not really an option.



Keep in mind this isn't a standard office job. We work closely with about 30 kindergarteners, who are the world's only truly green renewable source of energy. If energy was made up of spit, cough, snot, various assorted germs along with wipe-you-hands-on-everything tendencies. Anyway my co-worker hobbled into work half way through the day fresh from the hospital to rejoin the mission (side note, the hospital is the equivalent to a doctor's visit here so you'll always hear people saying I have to go to the hospital or I went to the hospital but it's not the big deal that the statement implies stateside). I keep hand sanitizer on my desk and use it between every class no exceptions so I'm trying my best to stay well.

Speaking of taking days off I found out that we are the beneficiaries of ZERO vacation days! During the interview I was told "Oh and also you get ten paid vacation days off." I thought sweetdeal Beijing get ya self ready. What that actually meant was 'There are ten Korean national holidays spread out through the year and you get those off.' Hahah But 's just the way it is, I'll save money not traveling and it's overall a great gig; I've had the most fun here than at any other job. It's also a small country to travel across so I'm sure I could see a lot over a weekend here and there.

Had a good day in classes today, Tues and Fri are my easy days. Back at it tomorrow. I told one class on Monday the first group to finish was getting doughnuts on Wednesday so I guess I'll have to stop by good ol' Dunkin. Getting three of those ten days vacation days off next week for the Korean New Years so I'll try and take advantage this weekend and the next and do something worth your visits to the blog. And post pictures too.

Stay sanitary everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment