Tuesday, August 30, 2011

FLEA MARKET DAY, SWEET SMELL OF COMMERCE, BROKEN HEARTS

It finally came!

The day everyone (under 5 ft.) has been waiting for at school, the annual ECC Flea Market Day. A week or so ago the kids started bringing in unwanted stuff for to be sold (with fake money, of course) to other students. They practiced sales language like greeting a customer, asking the price asking for a discount, and such.

During Arts and Crafts the kids made signs for the different stores that would be featured. Here's the one I made with the oldest kids:



I have to admit I was pretty proud of this sign because I just sorta walked into class not knowing what to do.  Then it hit me and I traced two brown lines on the top and bottom of 7 sheets of paper, and I had the kids color in the lines to make matching shelves. Then I told them to draw books and if the could, write the names of their favorite books. If you can't make out the titles, some of them are Chicka Chicka (yes, as in Boom Boom) Harry Potter, and the name of a book we read about Antarctica.




Alright back to the kids. I started the morning with Harvard class making origami purses:



Armed with 15 false, green one dollar bills, the kids took to the play room:


Above, Elly, Michelle and Jinny are slow to understand how to attract customers to the clothing store while the Toy and Grocery Stores are hogging all the attention. Also you might notice one pair of those shoes are bigger than the others. Our co-worker went home for a month and left her desk completely cluttered for the person inheriting it, including those (wildly not-work-appropriate shoes. So I told the kids the shoes were for sale and they priced them at 2 fake dollars - let's find out later if we had any takers.


Top, Princess and Maya and (not so much) Ha-lin try to bring in the cash to the Grocery Store. There are onions, bananas, corn, mushrooms, carrots and zucchini.


Here's where things got dicey. So I, being too silly as usual, gave Giny (far right above) my phone (white phone in the foreground) to sell at the Toy Store if she would split the profits with me. As you can tell by her expression it wasn't selling after a while. But soon she sold it to a very cute, very elated, very stubborn 4 year old.

What I thought was funny was that Aiden, who bought my phone for fake $2, played with this Pororo play phone first. Then he pulled out of his shopping bag is prized possession:



That's my phone, he started making calls too. I tried to explain to him that it was mine and a joke but he didn't register it, I tried buying it off of him with 5 times the fake money he paid for it, no go. Finally later in the day during lunch I had to sneak in there and steal it from his bag! His homeroom teacher said later on he dumped everything out to try and find it so she had to explain to him what happened and he was grief stricken. Woops, I'm sure his mom will hear about that. I was having too much fun!

Besides those shenanigans, the Flea Market was a great success. After a break the kids switched so that the sellers were buyers and the buyers were sellers.


Above, the kids I was in charge of were the 5 year olds in Duke class, and they manned the fast-paced Toy Store. Of course some of the kids thought this mean that they had first dibs on all the merchandise but that's to be expected. Below the 4 year olds selling books


I think this is one of my favorite pics below. You have Mir, third from the left, who is the most clown-ish, mascot-like, goofiest child at school but who also hates to have his picture taken. So you have him running for cover but still with that sly smirk, then there's Jade getting ready to take charge and get this selling underway, and lastly you have Eddy on the far right, who's 4, and had no business being anywhere close to the Grocery Store but typical Eddy, he's silently hanging out in his own realm.


A view from behind the counter. 


Oooh, end of the day. Cash on the counter to be counted, last of the inventory, ratty shoes remaining, 


All in all it was a blast having the flea market. There was also a stationary store of which I didn't take any pictures. I even picked up a couple carrots and onions for my own enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment