Wednesday, April 18, 2012

MORE FROM LAST WEEK

Last Sunday I was low on ideas for to occupy my time -- no computer, guitar, tv etc. -- so I played another round of 'pick a direction' and started walking down one of the bigger roads going south. After an hour here's what I had found:

First up, just down the street was the Seoul National Science Museum! Which was closed. Which I wouldn't have gone into by myself even if it was open. But it was there so g'times.


Below is a side entrance to a MASSIVE palace that I knew was close, but not 15 minutes walk close! That entrance is out of commission but the facade was still gorgeous and akin to the other entrances. I walked along its walls for another 25 minutes probably. 







After another 30 or 40 minutes of walking through some neighborhood I came across this market below. It was was OUT OF CONTROL. First off most of the shops were closed because it was a SUnday afternoon but none the less it was so massive and enough stores were open I can't imagine it on a normal day. But by far the most impressive part was it's food court. There were no Taco Bells or Panda Express like food courts back home, but all the stalls were various famous Korean foods and the place was absolutely PACKED. I felt a little strange taking pictures so some of the shots are a little rushed and blurry.







A blurry shot but you can mostly make out what was present at many a stall here, that's a pig's face with its feet lying next to it. This is in a side walk way where what looked like vendors were enjoying the end of a long week. In the foreground is a few links of blood sausage (with a special guest appearance in the picture by four bottles of two different types of Korean alcohol. Anyone? Pig face with the side of blood sausage and some soju? No one?


Before I headed home (via subway, don't get it confused I was beat) I thought I'd stop and get my favorite street food which is chicken and green onion on a skewer. The woman here seemed pretty nice and she asked me in Korean if I wanted spicy, which I said 'yes' and then she said something along the lines of, 'okay, but do you want REALLY SPICY!?' to which I replied 'sure why not'. It was hard to walk in a straight line after I ate that it was so hot. $2 well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment