Friday, March 9, 2012

WHATTA MESS!

OH MMAAAANN blog. This last week has been out of control. My plan was to gradually catch up to real time by catching you up on the end of orientation and then what's going on at my school and with my apartment and stuff. But not having internet at my apartment is no joke! Saturday I went and got a $5 coffee and was going to sit for two hours and do internet stuff but their wifi wouldn't work on my computer so the manager (they just opened so I think he was little nervous) insisted I used his computer Sunday I went and bought a $5 coffee and it turned it it was only 30 min till closing time.

Monday I started teaching! More on that soon, and I went into the city to buy kitchen utensils and stuff second hand. AND I remedied my no-counter-space situation, here's a before and after:



So that top part is like a table for sitting on the floor and eating food, then I put it on a char and used a 10 pack of mini cereal boxes on the left side to balance it, tied it down with shoe lace strings and BOOOOOMM COUNTERSPACE!! Also, for some godawful reason I bought a rectangular frying pan.

Tuesday I spent 6 hours at the department of immigration waiting for my Alien Registration Card. I wish I had taken a picture of my ticket - it said you are number 1562, there are 354 people ahead of you in line. So it took all day and it's in the middle of an awesome neighborhood but it was a frozen tundra inside so had to stay put. After that the 4 or 5 people that commiserated with me went to a 50cent wings night pretty close by. Then Wednesday after a failed attempt to get a phone set up I went to an orientation mini (5 day?) reunion to talk about our schools with all the people who got stowed way up north. I volunteered to find a restaurant for everyone while they were meeting up I found an empty traditional Korean soup place that would hold all 20 of us.



A lot of the people are new to Korea so they were sorta being loud foreigners at the place (you should have seen to faces of other dinners with their dropped jaws) but that was a great time because we had all been teaching at different schools for 3 days and it was good/useful to hear about everyone's situation.

Yesterday I tried to get my internet hooked up for a while but that failed. Then I went to a friend's birthday party at a Mexican restaurant for a lil taste of home.

Today, great news. I got a bed!! Oh I should have mentioned, I have a good apartment, amazing school and fantastic location - but I only had a couch for the last week, the hot water hasn't worked for a few days and I have no TV or internet. The hot water thing got resolved and wasn't that big of a deal I just heated up water when I needed it, no internet is horiffic, and no TV is whatever. But the bed has been sorta rough. The school said that I would be getting a bed in "late March or April" and I tried, as politely as I could to say that that was sort of a long time to go on a couch. In addition the previous teacher had sorta pulled me aside in the 10 min we've talked and said "make sure you get on them about the bed" so that added another layer of stress. Then out of the blue today a brand new bed and frame showed up with movers who assembled it as well! I am bedded up!!! Also the landlord, who lives next to me (**pulls collar**) heard the movers come over and she came and helped me fix my hot water! That, AND I got my bank account set up today as well.

So all that's left is my Alien Registration Card, my internet, a phone and a paycheck and I will be back to being a functional human soon!

Like I said, more on the teaching part tomorrow, but for now I am gotta go take a nap or three! Sorry again for the delay, talk as soon as I can guys xox

1 comment:

  1. phew! I'm exhausted now from reading about all that you have going on!

    get some sleep...maybe skype date?

    ReplyDelete