Monday, August 6, 2012

Second Summer Session and Open Biases

The second installment of Summer Camp wrapped up last week!

I have to say that this second session was AWESOME. The first week I think that my CT and I were still hammering out the details of the class, and there were also a few students who would rather have not been inside during break. So the class was a bit wobbly but the second week the days were set in stone and all 18 students were excited to be there and to participate.

The participated to the point of excess even! We spent some of the budget on boardgames for the students, which were utilized in the first week, but in the second the students enjoyed the activities so much we would just extend the lessons to the full three hours. Below are the (fantastic) 3rd graders doing a portion of the scavenger hunt. It was about 96 degrees and humid outside and we almost called it off because ALL the students were so engaged that the were sprinting around in the heat! I didn't know little people could sweat like that, but they were all about it.



Below is Napoli! She was a great student during class but also so clever. For a portion of the scavenger hunt the task was to "Go to class 3-3 and read the sign" and as you can sort of see the sign says "finish the worksheet" which are in the yellow box next to the door.  If I could go back again I would have made that task much more clear to the students. They thought they only had to read aloud the sign and then take a picture of the sign. After I explained that to Napoli's group what to do they started doing the worksheet and I left for a while. When I came back she told me this story:

         "Teacher! I lie. Other group and come take picture. And they say, 'Take picture only is ok?' to me and I say 'Yes yes you are okay' and then they go away! hahaha"


Sign her up for Survivor.




Below are name tags. The students were supposed to write or draw what the like on the back.






More journal fun!








Hahah OUCH! That last one burns deep. Either way last week was a blast! The students came with a lot of energy that in turn fueled us teachers and I think I enjoyed the camp as much if not more than they did!

Now off to break

No comments:

Post a Comment