Tuesday, February 22, 2011

RESPONSIBILITIES

G'evening blog,

Just got the full brief about the upcoming graduation/end of the year ceremony that's happening this Friday! There are four kindergarten classes, two upper and two lower and the two upper ones will be moving on, or over to afternoon classes, and the the two lower ones will be moving up. The kids will all be wearing their tradional Korean dress clothes, plus costumes for some performances of songs and little plays. Should be phenomenally cute and fun, but sad also because I won't see some of the kids again.



This photo is one of the four kindergarten homerooms. Interestingly enough the biggest trouble makers in this class are the calmest in this picture. Haha and there's Eddy, second from the back on the left. He's out numbered one to eight by the girls but he manages okay. 

Back to graduation, the teachers are in charge of putting on the performance. PRETTY nervous about the whole situation actually.

....



Oh, what was that? "Why am I nervous?" Well I wasn't going to bring it up or anything but since you asked....

Responsibilities for Friday include greeter-at-the-door of the parents, then I have to hustle back and be stage manager during the show, music conductor for two songs of eight, and probably most crucially I have to run a ten minute game/quiz/fun session WITH the parents while the kids change out of their costumes. I don't know how that worked out this way, but I will just have to make sure I double up on coffee in the morning.

I am excited about greeter, I can smile and bow almost endlessly so no sweat. Hopefully I will rub the parents the right way then so that if the quiz bombs that'll soften the blow.
'English Quiz'. That means I quiz 30 pairs of parents on their English skills. I have NO idea their level of English speaking or listening (or willingness to answer ridiculous questions in front of the peers (perhaps rivals?)) so I will have to have three sets of questions. Well one set of easy and then two sets of intermediate and hard as backups prepared. I have ten minutes to fill (right now that seems synonymous with 'eternity') which means I need to plan for 15 minutes. I've worked on it a bit the last day or so and I have a decent, but minimal amount of solid questions lined up. There isn't much to basic English (surprisingly), so if any parents are reading this, get ya' four seasons and colors of the rainbow down by Friday! Some of the more lighthearted questions will be a multiple choice of what the teacher's favorite snacks are (...so that if the parents needed any gift ideas...), who's child is the cutest, and who won the Korean Soccer League championship last year.

Back to the point, I either need fifty or sixty questions total to be safe or I need to research a game that I can play with the parents. Do you think Google will turn up any search results for "Easy and fun games to play in English with middle aged, possibly reluctant, non-English speaking groups of people that trust you with their children and their money so as to kill time in stead of just showing a video or something"?

The stage manager duty worries me because my organization, attention to (anything) detail skills are below average (borderline atrocious). Between greeting and leading my two songs I'd also like to save some of my energy for the quiz. I think I am going to try and reverse-delegate that one tomorrow -- for those of you keeping track at home: reverse-delegation is worse than re-gifting, but not as bad as delegating your all responsibilities to begin with (certain manager). Fun fact.

Anyway, sorry if this was more whine-diary-like than blog entry, 's just what's on my mind. That and how I should stop blowing 10 bucks a week at the batting cages across the street. It's too fun.

Also if anyone has any suggestions about some easy, fun and basic questions I can ask the parents or any games feel free to email me or leave them in the comments section.

Now to bring sun and smiles back to the blog let's check out nephew extraordinaire: John the IV! It sounds like a king's name for a reason ya'll!




HE'S WEARING THAT SHIRT BECAUSE HE'S FLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment