Thursday, February 10, 2011

NEW KIDS

Oh hey, blog

It's been a while. Goods news though, I got my computer fixed for cheap and although I lost everything (again) good news is that I'll be back in full communicado pretty soon.

Work has been wild lately. We started a full new schedule of classes this week, it's fun because there are a lot of new kids who think my whole make-goofy-faces-and-noises-when-in-doubt routine is golden. In some cases though it is already sort of taking a toll on all of us teachers. My class of very young KG aged kids take a ton of sustained energy and that classroom has no windows so it's steamy in there. It also requires a fair amount of prep because if you can't wing it - if you don't have a new activity ready to go when they lose interest in the last one it's hopeless. Also the class expanded from 8 to TWELVE four year olds. I average probably a little less than one cry a day though so it's going pretty well.

The 3 year olds are literally impossible. There is a camera in each room, all of which are hooked up to a TV in the recpeption area....and for the class with the 3 year olds the Mothers crowd around AND WATCH each class. Wow. It doesn't really happen (that I know of) for other classes but in that one when the kids get up and try to tell me something urgent (usually bathroom related) and I have no idea what they are saying because it's in Korean, a mother will see their kid trying to communicate to me and come to the room and take them away. But when they are in class they draw all over the tables, hide under chairs, grab my tie, just cry, pick a page in the books and just start coloring it, and anything that is in their hand goes in their mouth. No exceptions.


But for every trouble class there's two that are a blast to teach and those make the day go by a lot quicker. Those are usually smaller in size, and I can get a good (and educational) banter going with the students. That, and coffee.

Today was the bi-monthly birthday party for all kids with Jan and Feb birthdays. We give em cake and presents and they all get hyped up. During the madness one of the teachers asked me to watch her class while she went to get them cake. I did and in that two min span two kids ran head on to each other and started wailing, one girl took out her light-up Barbie hair bursh to show me and promply dropped and broke it and she got all devostated, and one kid spilled his organge juice all over the table. Meanwhile the other kids paid no mind and keep up their wild assult on sanity. The other teacher returned to the utter chaos that had become of her class and I caught flack for it all day hahah.

Oh and I've decided that I'm going to take a personal vendetta against the phrase "Very not good." The kids pronounce it "VVVEEEEEeeerrrryy not good." It irks me a bunch and every kid says it all the time instead of just saying something is 'bad'. I'll be having none of that with the new crop of youngin's. Bank on it.


Enough of this boring work stuff I will be getting more pictures from my vaccation last week and I'll post those pretty soon. Again though for this month my Fridays are breezy, only five classes from 1:30 to 6:50. I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Will spend my long morning tomorrow making a two hour round trip to pick up my computer, but soon it'll be the WEEKEND. No plans as of yet except waiting for Jack to come say Hi!

LATER

1 comment:

  1. "Assault on sanity." NICE. The whole thing sounds extremely interesting/rough at times. Diggin' your updates-- jealoussss of your location.

    ReplyDelete